13 Poisonous and Deadly Plants You Might Have at Home

Did you know that you may have some poisonous and deadly plants in your home or garden?

Yes, many plants are toxic in nature. Thus, it is important when choosing them for your landscaping, garden beds or houseplants.

This is especially true if you have young, curious kids or own cats and dogs.

As you’ll see below, some of the most beautiful and even well-known plants are toxic. But, these poisonous and deadly plants have varying degrees of severity.

Some are mild while others can be downright fatal.

Check them out below to help keep your family safe.

 

Poisonous and Deadly Plants You Might Have at Home

Hydrangea

Hydrangea

Hydrangeas are amazing to look which is why they are very popular in gardens. Their large pastel-colored blooms are very unique. Plus, they can get very dense making them stunning additions to both front and backyards.

However, you do need to be careful with these plants especially if you have young kids and pets running around.

Hydrangeas are cyanogenic glycoside. As such, they are toxic when ingested.

That said, they will very cause death, unless a lot is consumed.

But, good amounts of it can cause vomiting, digestive issues, stomach pain, nausea and sweating just to name a few.

The poisonous parts of plant are its bark, leaves and flowers.

 

Daffodil

Daffodil

Another very pretty flower that’s just as dangerous are daffodils. We’re all familiar with these small yet bright colors flowers that often come in yellow, orange and white colors.

But, they are toxic to dogs and cats. And, because they only get to a foot or a foot and a half feet tall, they’re easily reachable by young children as well.

Unfortunately, daffodils container lycorine and calcium oxalate crystals. If you’re a gardener who has kids and pets, you do want to remember the latter name since it is something to always watch out for due to its toxicity.

In general, daffodils are more toxic than hydrangeas.

They can cause dermatitis and skin irritation upon touch.

Plus, ingesting almost any part of the plant, including its leaves, flowers, roots and stems can cause issues like vomiting, nausea, diarrhea.

In large amounts it becomes toxic resulting in convulsions and even death.

 

Elephant Ear

Elephant Ear

Elephant ears are a group of plants that have oversized leaves that resemble the ears of an elephant. This feature makes them stunning to look at because of their lovely shapes and the amazing colors they’re often adorn with.

But along with heir beauty comes their toxicity.

And, be aware that Alocasia, Colocasia and Caladium, which are all considered elephant ears are poisonous in nature.

More importantly, both alocasia and colocasia have high poison severity. This means ingestion can cause severe pain or even death. So, do be careful.

Caladium is a little less at around medium level. But, they can still cause tremendous pain and other issues.

That’s because they  contain calcium oxalate crystals which are not only toxic when eaten but can also cause skin issues. So, do wear your gloves.

 

Dieffenbachia

Dieffenbachia

Dieffenbachia are also called dumb cane plants for a reason. And, it is not the plant the name is referring to.

Instead, become dumb or unable to speak when you ingest parts of the plant is why.

This is the side effect of consuming the plant, especially the leaves, roots, sap and stems which are highly toxic.

It contains calcium oxalate crystals and oxalic acid which causes burning sensations in the mouth all the way down through your digestive tract. It also causes diarrhea, vomiting, nausea and difficulty swallowing just to name a few.

For smaller animals like dogs, cats and livestock, consumption or ingestion can be fatal.

Its sap can irritate skin as well.

 

Lily of the Valley

Lily of the Valley

Lilies of the valley feature small yet dangerous flowers. While beautiful they are toxic in large quantities because they contain cardiac glycosides and saponins.

In addition to their flowers, almost every part of the plant is poisonous to different levels. This includes the bark, stem, leaves, fruits, sap, roots and seeds.

 

Related

 

Philodendron

Philodendron

Philodendron are among the most popular plants around. And depending on whether you’re a collector or just a hobbyist, you’ve probably come across a some of them that cost more than a few hundred dollars.

What makes philodendrons among the most sought after houseplants is their foliage. These come in different varieties, shapes and colors. All of which look unique and stunning.

That said, these leaves are also poisonous.

Due to their size, they may be attractive to eat for pets and young children.

These contain calcium oxalates and other toxins that will irritate the lips, throat, tongue and digestive tract.

 

Poinsettia

Poinsettia

Among are list of poisonous and deadly plants, these holiday beauties rank the lowest. That is, they are very mildly toxic.

The only reason for this is their milky sap contains latex. As such, if you have allergies or sensitivities to latex, it is a good idea to wear gloves when handling the plant especially pruning, propagating or any sort of trimming.

Needless to say, pets and young kids should not eat any part of the sap which is bitter. And, in large amounts becomes toxic.

 

Rhododendron and Azalea

Rhododendron and Azalea

From the low, we go the high.

Rhododendron and Azalea are not to be messed with when it comes to toxicity. It can cause serious pain and quite a few issues including depression, vomiting, diarrhea and weakness.

In more serious cases, it can result in breathing problems, paralysis of your arms and legs, coma, and cardiac failure.

Almost all parts of the plant are toxic including the flowers, leaves, stem, roots, sap seeds and fruit.

 

Foxglove

Foxglove

Foxglove is another highly toxic plant that’s beautiful to the eyes.

Unfortunately, it’s unique look is rivaled by its serious nature thanks to cardiac glycosides.

As such, avoid ingesting the plant. This goes for both pets and humans, with the flowers, stems, roots and leaves being the most toxic parts.

 

Lilies

Lilies

Above, I’ve already talked about the lily of the valley above. And now, I’ll be covering true lilies.

Just to clarify, lilies of the valley are not true lilies. This is why common names of plants can be confusing.

That said, all lilies are toxic. They are especially so to cats. So, avoid growing these plants in the garden if you have felines or keep them out of reach.

Many parts of lilies are toxic. These include their flowers, leaves and pollen. In fact, event the water in the vase they’re put in becomes toxic as well.

 

Oleander

Oleander

Oleander is another plant you don’t want to have despite its beauty. This is especially true if you have livestock, pets or young kids.

As pretty as their flowers are, oleander is a cyanogenetic plant. Together with nightshade, laurel, lilies of the valley and ivy, you don’t want pets, livestock or children consuming these because their will cause side effects.

 

Rhubarb

Rhubarb

Rhubarb is a vegetable that’s often eaten. And, it is sometimes included in salads and other dishes.

That said, it is important to know that if you do enjoy eating this veggie, you should limit the amount to consume.

That’s because it contains oxalic acid.

While the human body can tolerate it is small to moderate amounts, eating high amounts of is can be toxic.

Done so, it will cause gastrointestinal discomfort and issues.

And, if you do this too often or for many years, it can lead to kidney stones or kidney failure.

 

Wisteria

Wisteria

Wisteria are gorgeous flowering vines especially when allowed to drape down pergolas, trellises and arbors.

Their density, color and form make them stunning to look at.

But they are lightly toxic as they contain Lectin, Wisterin, a glycoside and a resin that’s poisonous as well.

This means that you need to eat more of the plant in order to experience adverse symptoms. Nevertheless, you can never really tell how much cats, dogs and children can consume while playing.

And because they have small bodies, they can’t tolerate a lot of the toxic unlike adults or bigger animals can.

Their seeds are the most poisonous part of the plant.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *