Last Updated on October 31, 2021 by Phil
Living fence ideas are one of the most beautiful ways to add curb appeal while providing additional privacy to for your front or backyard.
You’re able to choose what plants to grow, the colors, shapes, and texture to create. You can likewise control how tall they get.
Here are some of my favorite living fence ideas you can try.
Living Fence Ideas
Living Fence Panel
We kick things off with a lovely living fence that uses a crisscross design. This allows you do see some things outside the wall and vice versa.
But, it also gives you more privacy at the same time.
This takes a bit to completely built because you’ll need to the vines to grow to cover the fence. However, you do get to choose what kind of climbers you want to grow.
Wooden Planter Privacy Screen
Another amazing way to create a fence that does not completely block out the opposite side is to use planter boxes.
This idea is gorgeous as it allows you to use different kinds of plants in sections of the fence. As such, your living fence can have different colors and all sorts of texture and character depending on how you mix and match the plants.
- 12 Imaginative DIY Outdoor Room Ideas
- 9 Gorgeous Small Cut Flower Garden Ideas
- 11 Beautiful DIY Air Plant Display Ideas – Decorating with Air Plants
- 12 Radiant DIY Outdoor Plant Wall Ideas You Can Easily Recreate
- How to Display Plants Indoors – 10 Amazing Houseplant Décor Ideas
- 14 Unique DIY Tiered Raised Garden Bed Ideas
DIY Patio Privacy Screen
In the previous idea, the planters were arranged in alternative fashion. In doing so, the holes were more like a checkerboard.
However, you can likewise make them more uniform like the one shown here.
This allows you to see entire rows between the fence.
And, you can still grow different plants for each row and side as well.
Backyard Living Fence
In case you want something higher, here’s great idea. This living fence allows climbers to grow densely over the wired fencing. This allows it to get all the way up in time.
And, it doing so you can build an entire living wall that blocks out whatever’s on the other side.
Strung Up Arbor with Living Wall
Another very tall structure, this is very unique in that you don’t always get to see something like it.
It makes use of a very high arbor with twine that comes all the way down. These allow the vines to slowly climb up. And, over time cover those areas.
Behind the arbor is likewise a wall with a living fence above it.
Rustic Living Fence
Should you prefer something that will remind you of a farmhouse or your last time away from the city, here’s a wonderful idea.
This living fence is sparse at the bottom but gets denser on top. Its look is perfect
Wooden Pallet Plant Wall
At first glance you wouldn’t think that this lovely plant wall is made using old pallets. But, it is.
By standing the pallets up and use them to hold the plants vertically, you can create a wall or fence which will let you grow more even when you’re short on space.
Wooden Living Fence Using Planter Boxes
I love multi-purpose items. And this wooden planter box is one of them.
It comes with a trellis that allows the vines toc climb up to create a fence or wall for privacy. And, because you can place the planters anywhere, you can instantly create a screen or sectional where you want to.
Vertical Flower Bed
This is a flower bed that’s turned on its side. If you look at it, it sems the flower bed is suspended against the wall.
And, this look is what makes it lovely.
You can create the frame using wood and hanging it against any wall or surface. You also get to choose which flowers to grow.
Deck Living Curtain Fence
For smaller spaces or areas you want covered or partially covered, here’s something you can try.
By attaching ropes or wires down from the top all the way to the planter, you can train climbers to go up. As they grow, they’ll cover the opening while producing a lovely visual effect along the way.
Farmhouse Living Fence
If you fence already built, then you have a few options. One is to frow a thick, dense patch to cover the fence. Another is to grow a bunch of trees that will complement the fence.
However, if you want something more subtle, growing some low plants around the fence and combining it with some trees is a lovely way to go.
Artsy Living Wall
One of the best things about plants is that you can arrange them in any way you want. And, here’s a lovely example.
This is more of wall art that it is a fence. But, it’s a wonderful example of what you can do with plants to create something so visually pleasing.
Full Coverage Living Fence
Here’s an amazing way to achieve complete privacy. This living fence is grown out to become a thick, dense wall of flowering vines.
The colors make it amazing to look at. And, it blends right in with everything around it.
Floral Flower Wall
This is perfect for occasions or if you want to add some color to your garden. You also get to choose what color you want by selecting the right kind of flowering vine. And, if you wish use a combination of colors like the one here.
But, it does take quite a bit of time for the entire fence to grow out. And, you’ll need to prune it regularly to maintain a specific look like this one.
- Living Fence Panel – https://www.pinterest.com/pin/147211481541652980/
- Wooden Planter Privacy Screen – https://www.pinterest.com/pin/37014028177281060/
- DIY Patio Privacy Screen – https://www.pinterest.com/pin/70437470661807/
- Backyard Living Fence – https://www.pinterest.com/pin/1337074866304453/
- Strung Up Arbor with Living Wall – https://www.pinterest.com/pin/796644621565358813/
- Rustic Living Fence – https://www.pinterest.com/pin/29766047527363573/
- Wooden Pallet Plant Wall – https://www.pinterest.com/pin/84090718016549318/
- Wooden Living Fence Using Planter Boxes – https://www.pinterest.com/pin/182818066111784052/
- Vertical Flower Bed – https://www.pinterest.com/pin/39265827978105016/
- Deck Living Curtain Fence -https://www.pinterest.com/pin/5136987049998907/
- Farmhouse Living Fence – https://www.pinterest.com/pin/2322237297019660/
- Artsy Living Wall – https://www.pinterest.com/pin/316729786297231558/
- Full Coverage Living Fence – https://www.pinterest.com/pin/143693044345169928/
- Floral Flower Wall – https://www.pinterest.com/pin/75998312442410660/