Last Updated on October 31, 2021 by Phil
Garden walkway ideas add texture and character to backyard and other landscaping. They likewise allow you to add your very own touch of creativity to take your garden to the next level.
If you’re thinking of adding a pathway to your yard or garden, here are some awesome designs and creations you can find inspiration from.
Garden Walkway Ideas
Stone Path Garden Walkway
Rugged and robust, this is a great path design that will last the test of time. I love how this lovely look makes use of different shapes to create something unique.
The addition of foliage on the borders make sure that things don’t look monochromatic.
Stone Star Garden Path
This uses a very similar look with the one above. But, it uses different kinds of rocks. The rocks are smaller and have softer, rounder edges.
This gives it a completely different character and texture.
There is likewise more space between the rocks. And, a large star-like design in the middle.
- Cheap DIY Pergola Ideas on a Budget
- DIY Window Boxes You Can Make Yourself
- Upcycled Garden Décor Ideas
- DIY Pallet Fence Projects & Design Ideas
- Ways to Reuse Old Bricks to Renovate Your Garden
- Rock Landscaping Ideas for Side of House
Decorative Leaf Stepping Stones
This is one of my favorites. I love how the leaves are so detailed. You can see all the veins. And, the way the veins are made is amazing.
Obviously, this takes a bit more craftsmanship compares to the two above. But, it require a similar amount of planning as you’ll need to measure the number of leaves that can fit and how to create them so that their size gradually gets bigger.
Alternating Stone Tile Pathway
This is no doubt on of the most creative garden walkway ideas I’ve seen. It is a bit harder to execute as well since you need to place the rows of stone precisely with the same amount of space between every stone.
Then, there’s growing the grass around it as well.
Recycled Brick Garden Walkway
This DIY look is something you can create for your own backyard without having to hire a contractor or landscaper.
All you need are enough old bricks of the same size. You will likewise need to estimate distance they’ll cover.
Square Path Walkway
This is a unique garden walkway idea that uses a variety of different elements. The small stones make up the background. And, there are larger slabs that comprise of the border.
The square concreate walkway is what makes up the middle.
To finish this look you have small foliage plants to the sides.
Stone Walkway with Ground Cover
This is a variation of the first garden walkway idea above. But it used in the backyard instead of the entryway.
Due to its purpose, it is used in a very different way.
There is more space in between the slabs of rocks to allow ground cover to grow between them. Similarly, it is covered by grass and other low plants.
Log and Stone Garden Walkway
Again, this is a variant of the first design above. But, it combines some softer looking round stones as well as logs.
Together, they create a wonderful random pattern of different elements that keep the pathway interesting.
Wooden Land Bridge
If you have small areas of in your backyard that you want to make walkways to make them easier to traverse, using small planks of wood is a great way to do it.
This lovely garden land bridge uses a combination of light brown, while and gray wood colors arranged in various order to create a magnificent look amidst all of the grass, plants and soil.
This looks like a mini-railroad path over small stones.
The combination of dark brown colored wood over contrasting white stones make this walkway stunning to look at.
You also have a small border of plants on each side to create even more contrast.
This is an amazing look that is well-suited for any modern backyard.
Concrete Zipper Garden Walkway
Here’s a lovely zipper-like design created by placing the edges of the stone brocks in line with one another.
What finishes the entire design is the grass that fills out the extra spaces.
Stone Pattern Path
Stone and concrete patters look amazing and create the illusion that they are very difficult to create.
But, don’t let that intimidate you.
In fact, it makes use of a little cement and mold that will let you fill in the stone in the right areas.
This makes the job much easier.
Decorative Rock Garden Walkway
This is such a beautiful walking path in the middle of the lawn. The small patches of plants likewise add an amazing touch to keep everything from being too plain.
If you look closely, this walkway makes use of quite a few different elements, including large rocks of different colors, many much smaller rocks and even concentric patterns.
Log Garden Path
If you have large logs that you don’t have any use for, you can cut it up into smaller round pieces and create this stunning design.
It does take some planning and a good eye to make this work since you don’t want to any section to look boring.
Curving Wooden Steps
Here’s another look that will fit right into any modern landscaping design. This looks very much like the wooden railroad garden walkway above.
But, it uses rectangular concrete instead of wood. And, that makes it very different.
- Stone Path Garden Walkway – https://www.pinterest.com/pin/140806228579419/
- Stone Start Garden Path – https://www.pinterest.com/pin/6685099435743179/
- Decorative Leaf Stepping Stones – https://www.pinterest.com/pin/2322237296833271/
- Alternating Stone Tile Pathway – https://www.pinterest.com/pin/1055599901892238/
- Recycled Brick Garden Walkway – https://www.pinterest.com/pin/16536723618547375/
- Square Path Walkway – https://www.pinterest.com/pin/6685099436552137/
- Stone Walkway with Ground Cover – https://www.pinterest.com/pin/4151824645837649/
- Log and Stone Garden Walkway – https://www.pinterest.com/pin/504121752039935770/
- Wooden Land Bridge – https://www.pinterest.com/pin/36662184456024929/
- Railroad Walkway – https://www.pinterest.com/pin/243053711129361387/
- Concrete Zipper Garden Walkway – https://www.pinterest.com/pin/1618549856408659/
- Stone Pattern Path – https://www.pinterest.com/pin/211174972425939/
- Decorative Rock Garden Walkway – https://www.pinterest.com/pin/11399805444737740/
- Log Garden Path – https://www.pinterest.com/pin/21744010690405378/
- Curving Wooden Steps – https://www.pinterest.com/pin/4011087158836089/