DIY gabion ideas for backyards are a great way to add something different that not a lot of people have.
As beautiful as they are people don’t often use gabions because they can take up a lot of space. And, besides being a wall, they’re usually used for decorative purposes or walls only.
Below, you’ll see how versatile these rock cages are as we veer away from the gabion wall designs and give you other great ways to use these lovely pieces in your garden, backyard or patio.
DIY Gabion Ideas for Backyards
Spherical Gabion Planter
We kick off our DIY gabion ideas with this amazing looking planter that’s created with a wire mesh net that holds large stones inside.
This is one of the most unique ways to use a gabion I’ve ever seen. And, it is nothing short of amazing.
Because of its size, it is perfect for outdoor plants. And, it makes for a great patio, deck or yard decorative piece.
Gabion Retaining Wall
This retaining wall is not only offers support and provides structure of the upper later of the yard, but it also adds a touch of character and design thanks to its appearance.
The use of the rocks and wire give you something different than just concrete, bricks or slabs of stone. And, it does the jobs as well.
- Related Ideas
- 13 Lovely Shade Garden Design Ideas – How to Design a Beautiful Shade Garden
- 12 Extraordinary Bamboo Landscaping Ideas You Must See
- 15 DIY Garden Table Ideas You Can Make on a Budget
- 10 Super Cute DIY Gnome Garden Ideas & Projects for Kids
- 11 DIY Moss Terrarium Ideas That Will Amaze You
- 12 Minimalist Indoor Living Plant Wall Ideas that are Gorgeous
Vertical Gabion Garden
I absolutely love this design!
I’ll admit that it does take more work to create this than just putting two pallets over one another to great the backdrop of a vertical garden.
The addition of the wooden frame takes this design over the top as it provides a contrast of color as well as texture.
Here’s another unique way to use a gabion. This time it is used to create an island that doubles into a raised garden bed.
But, instead of being use in the garden, the bed is more for decorative purposes right outside the home.
This design looks great as it uses different shapes for its edges and corners as well.
Gabion Rock Cages
These pillars look stunning as they’re used as planters as well. Although, their primary purpose if for aesthetics. And, the plants are there to break up the single-look design of rocks and a rectangular cage.
This look is perfect for backyards or even the front of your home.
And, you can adjust its height depending on where it will be placed.
Gabion Raised Bed
This raised bed makes use a gabion to create the exterior border. It isn’t as big or long as some other raised beds. And, it is likewise taller as well.
Of course, you can adjust the size and height of your gabion raised bed depending on the look you’re going for.
Gabion Pillar Planter
If you want to add a little more décor to the pillar planter above, here’s a great way to do it.
This one uses a combination of a centerpiece in the front as well as a planter box above.
The gabion pillar is likewise shorter and shaped more like a mailbox post. Thus, you can easily use it as one and place a mailbox in the front as well.
Gabion Spiral Planter
Like another other material used to create planters, you can allow your imagination run free. That’s the beauty of gabions in that they allow you to shape them as you wish.
In this case, you have a tall cylindrical planter to the right and a wider but lower half circle on the left side.
Low Gabion Patio Garden Wall
So far, our list of DIY gabion ideas has shown you that there’s a lot of different things you can create with gabions.
And with this one, we go back the original way it is often used – a gabion wall.
This is a low patio garden wall that’s used more of a sectional divider rather then a full wall to block the outside or provide privacy.
That makes this lovely to look at is the gabion is complemented by wood that turns it into a support structure.
Gabion Outdoor Fire Place
Another way to take the gabion pillar above to another level is to add a fire place in it. Of course, you can do other things as well.
The fire place turns this decorative piece into something that’s useful as well.
Additionally, it gives you somewhere you can set up a table and chair or sofas around so people can gather during a cold night and just enjoy each other’s company.
Here’s another version of the rock cages above. But this time, the gabions show you how versatile they can be as they use different materials them.
Each of them likewise uses different colored stones that produce a lovely effect. You can likewise vary the shape of the outer cage as you wish.
These are perfect focus pieces in the patio or backyard to add a little contrast to the plants.
Horizontal Gabion Planter
This long horizontal planter makes use a white stones to fill the gabion. It is designed as a decorative piece with spaces in the middle that allow you to grow plants it.
Together, this gives you something wonderful to break up the monotony in your backyard or garden.
Gabion Garden Waterfall
Rounding up our gabion ideas is this waterfall design.
This is one of my favorites because it is absolutely spectacular to see.
The addition of the waterfall and basin in front of it turns the lovely piece into a something that adds calmness to your backyard. The running water also adds movement that provides more life to your garden.
- Spherical Gabion Planter – https://www.pinterest.com/pin/111675265749379779/
- Gabion Retaining Wall – https://www.containerwatergardens.net/12-gabion-ideas/
- Vertical Gabion Garden – https://www.pinterest.com/pin/101260691610760617/
- Gabion Island – https://dracogardens.blogspot.com/2010/07/gabion-garden.html?m=1
- Gabion Rock Cages – https://www.pinterest.com/pin/5348093295559927/
- Gabion Raised Bed – https://www.containerwatergardens.net/12-gabion-ideas/
- Gabion Pillar Planter – https://www.pinterest.com/pin/138556126012668628/
- Gabion Spiral Planter – https://www.pinterest.com/pin/128915608072253156/
- Low Gabion Patio Garden Wall – https://www.pinterest.com/pin/1196337391313630/
- Gabion Outdoor Fire Place – https://www.pinterest.com/pin/245938829638822269/
- Gabion Pillars – https://www.containerwatergardens.net/12-gabion-ideas/
- Horizontal Gabion Planter – https://www.pinterest.com/pin/599963981602200213/
- Gabion Garden Waterfall – https://www.pinterest.com/pin/100275529192620131/