Last Updated on October 31, 2021 by Phil
Looking for DIY backyard treehouse ideas for kids? We’ve got them here for you.
Whether you’re looking to build something small, big, open aired, covered or unique, there’s something for you below.
The best part about it is you get to choose the perfect design with your kids and then get to build it side by side with them.
There’s nothing happier that that!
Cool DIY Backyard Treehouse Ideas for Kids
DIY Kids Treehouse with Playground
This lovely DIY treehouse comes with a playground underneath. You have a hammock to relax in aas well as some space to play and enjoy. There’s also a swing to the side.
The treehouse itself is on the second level. And, you need to go up the stairs to get there. It has a spacious balcony and a large roof to keep you from getting wet if it rains.
Classy Treehouse with Zip Line
If you prefer something more elegant, this treehouse has a painted exterior and comes with lovely lines as well.
For adventurous kids, there’s a zip line to the side, which will let you ride back down to the ground.
- How To Create a Peaceful Zen Japanese Garden in Your Backyard
- 11 Ingenious DIY Garden Markers That are Easy to Make
- 13 Creative Garden Stairs on a Slope for Hills & Inclines
- 13 Marvelous DIY Concrete Planters You Can Make for Cheap
- 13 Dazzling DIY Hanging Basket Ideas for Your Porch
- 11 Captivating Fire Pit Pergola Ideas for Your Backyard
This DIY creation looks less like a treehouse and more like a fort or watch tower. It is perfect for kids who like to watch nature and keep an eye out for different things that may be approaching your property.
Treehouse with Crossing Bridge
This is one of the coolest treehouse designs I’ve seen thanks to its sky bridge that traverses the space between two trees.
While creating the treehouse may be something that’s somewhat fairly common especially if you have kids, the bridge requires a little bit more engineering since you need to make sure that it is safe for them to hang out in.
Here’s a fun idea if your kids like spy movies. This house is hidden amongst the trees making it secret hideaway they can go to.
It can be their safe space, which we all at some point in time have had.
Simple DIY Treehouse with Sandbox
In case you have many kids, then this treehouse idea is perfect for them. It is spacious and can accommodate different things insides as well.
Underneath the treehouse, you have a sandbox that’s perfect for them to play in as well.
Small Kids Treehouse
From the big and spacious, our DIY backyard treehouse ideas for kids turns to something small. This cozy little treehouse is great if you want them to spend some time outside but not all day there.
Having a large luxurious treehouse may mean that you don’t get to see your kids in the house often anymore. So, keeping is small will limit what they can do in their treehouse.
This lovely kid’s treehouse is simple. Yet, it contains everything they need to enjoy time outdoors as long as it doesn’t rain.
This open treehouse is great because the kids can enjoy the fresh air and look at nature in contrast to being cooped up inside the treehouse for long periods of time.
Full-Service Treehouse with Shade
If you want a spacious treehouse that’s cool as well, this is it. The lovely sail shades are positioned differently to cover the harsh sunlight. They also create a beautiful design making the treehouse look amazing from afar.
This treehouse design is amazingly pretty. And, it does require a little bit more building expertise compared to the rest. But, it is a stunning piece to have if you have a large backyard.
It gives you a 360-degree panoramic view over everything. This lets your kids see everything within close to a mile or so in every direction.
DIY Treehouse with Basement Patio
This is one of the most unique designs in our DIY backyard treehouse ideas for kids. It comes with a basement balcony or patio depending on how you look at it.
In a way it gives you the best of both worlds where the kids can enjoy their time indoors under the roof or relax under the sun.
I love how the extra level adds a new dimension to your traditional treehouse design.
Simple Treehouse for Kids
This is another simple treehouse without all the walls. This takes from the basic treehouse in that it provides a lot more open space. The absence of walls also lets the kids easily see everything around them.
The biggest difference between the two is that this has a roof so they can stay out there even when it rains.
- DIY Kids Treehouse with Playground – https://www.pinterest.com/pin/4996249577776715/
- Classy Treehouse with Zip Line – https://www.pinterest.com/pin/284289795211538973/
- Camouflage Fort – https://www.pinterest.com/pin/28358672643161776/
- Treehouse with Crossing Bridge – https://www.pinterest.com/pin/68739066479/
- Hidden Outpost – https://www.pinterest.com/pin/832391943626961841/
- Simple DIY Treehouse with Sandbox – https://www.pinterest.com/pin/5699937018376572/
- Small Kids Treehouse – https://www.pinterest.com/pin/469429961136313820/
- Basic Treehouse – https://www.pinterest.com/pin/568298046734888064/
- Full-Service Treehouse with Shade – https://www.pinterest.com/pin/537758011747301897/
- Relaxing Treehouse – https://www.pinterest.com/pin/4151824646641205/
- DIY Treehouse with Basement Patio – https://www.pinterest.com/pin/1196337391712632/
- Simple Treehouse for Kids – https://www.pinterest.com/pin/111112315796009977/